Dharma Mountain is located in Hedalen, a small valley about 130 km north of Oslo.
When booking your plane ticket to Norway, please be aware that there are two airports in the Oslo area,
1. Oslo Airport Gardermoen,
2. Oslo Sandefjord Torp Airport.
The airport closest to Oslo and Dharma Mountain is Oslo Airport Gardermoen.
Tip: For flights from European cities to Oslo Airport Gardermoen you might find cheap options (and direct flights) with the following airline companies: Norwegian (www.norwegian) and SAS (www.sas.no). From European cities to Oslo Sandefjord Torp Airport you may find cheap options with Ryanair (www.ryanair).
Transport from Gardermoen to Dharma Mountain
Arrival time for the retreats in Dharma Mountain is usually around 15-16 o’clock in the afternoon. It is good to have this in mind when booking your plane ticket to Norway, especially if you arrive the same day the retreat starts. It takes between 3 to 5 hours to get from Gardermoen airport to Dharma Mountain by public transport.
These are the easiest transport alternatives between Gardermoen and Dharma Mountain:
- Take a Vy train to Oslo Central Station (20 – 30 min; www.vy.no/en). Walk 5 min to Oslo Bus Terminal (there are signs indicating the way). There, take the bus “Valdresekspressen 160/161″ (www.nor-way.no) and go to Nes i Ådal (2 hour ride). If you have a student ID, you get a discount on the bus fare. If you buy your ticket on the bus, it might be more expensive. There is a bus which departs from Oslo at 13:05, which is optimal for reaching Dharma Mountain in time for the start of the retreat. From Nes i Ådal, take a taxi (NOK 275) to Dharma Mountain, Hedalen (15min). At night (from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.) and on weekends and bank holidays, the taxi price is NOK 385. To book a taxi: call+47 95950711 or ask us to make a reservation for you, at least one day before.
- Take a taxi all the way from Gardermoen to Hedalen, Dharma Mountain. This is the easiest and quickest alternative, but also the most expensive. From NOK 3000-4100. (depending on the time or day).
You can check other transport alternatives here: https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airport/to-and-from-the-airport/train-buss-and-taxi/trains.
If you have any questions about how to get to Dharma Mountain, write to email@example.com.
If you want to rent a car in Gardermoen, there are several companies available. Click here to find more information: https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airport/to-and-from-the-airport/car-rental/
Major credit cards are accepted everywhere. You can also exchange currency into Norwegian Kroner (NOK) and pay in cash. Please note that there are no foreign exchange facilities in Hedalen or in Dharma Mountain, so we advise you to exchange currency before you travel, at the airport or in Oslo. It may also be possible to withdraw money from ATMs/Minibanks with your Credit/Debit card – please check with your bank before traveling to be sure.
At Dharma Mountain you can pay in cash (NOK) or by card.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard and Maestro.
Debit cards accepted: only Norwegian debit cards (with Bank Axept).
Hedalen is a small village of around 800 inhabitants – including around 35 sannyasins. It has beautiful nature surroundings and silence…
There are two supermarkets, which are 8 and 12 km away from Dharma Mountain. There is a bus going up and down the valley twice per day.
The closest cities are Hønefoss and Fagernes, which are around 60 km away. There you can find shopping centers and other stores.
If you are planning to stay longer than the retreat period, there are only a few lodging options in the valley. There might be other activities happening just before and after the retreat at Dharma Mountain, so check with us about availability.
Weather – and what to bring
Summer in Norway, and especially in Hedalen, can be very beautiful, warm and sunny – but also cold and rainy. Temperatures can vary from 25 to 5 degrees! So bring clothes that fit these unpredictable weather conditions – like bathing suit, flip flops/sandals, hat, rain coat or umbrella, a few sets of warm clothes (even long underwear can be good on some days), a warm jacket and good walking shoes.
Here are some suggestions of what to bring to the retreat:
- a pillow/meditation chair
- a yoga mat
- mosquito repellent
- a warm blanket for the meditations and Satsangs
- white clothes for Satsangs on Sundays
- slippers or shoes for indoor use
- notebook and pen
Welcome to the mountains!